Monday, March 26, 2012

Religious Freedom

The articles and statements from the USCCB and America Magazine regarding birth control and the HHS mandate have given me great insight into the Catholic Church’s views on contraception and have shown me the lengths the Church will go to in order to protect its rights and values. I think it is very interesting that this event is occurring while we are discussing this issue in class. I think it is important that the Church attempts to intersect with politics when issues arise that affect the Church as an institution and its congregation. The Catholic Church has a right to voice its opinion and defend its views and teachings. In this case, the Church has a right to object to the HHS mandate and attempt to change its effects and conditions. My family has been very aware of this issue both in politics and within the Church. Outside of class, I have learned the specifics of the mandate and have seen the evolution of the Church’ s fight to change the mandate. I have also seen how this mandate has affected the presidential race (especially among Republican presidential candidates.) Although I might not fully agree with the Church’s views concerning birth control, I believe that the Church is fully justified in taking issue with this mandate and I believe that the Church ahs a right to protect its principles and moral values. Only time will tell how successful the mandate will be; it will be interesting to see what steps the Church takes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment