Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Its that time of year again...

For me, Lent has always meant the beginning of preparation for Easter, and, of course, the dreaded “food fasting” and giving up unhealthy things. As I thought about how I have spent Lent throughout my life, I realized that I have not always taken Lent seriously or taken the time to appreciate the season. This year, I hope to observe Lent more strictly and truly contemplate the meaning of this time. In the past, I have given up chocolate and soda and refrained from eating meat on Fridays, but I do not feel that I have always considered why I was doing these things. In addition, I realized that I have always thought about “giving up” things for Lent, rather than doing something extra for Lent or “adding something”. Lent is a time for us to look at ourselves and realize that we are sinners and must turn to God for help; Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us, and we must work to be better people.

Although I do plan on giving up desserts this Lent, I think that I will view Lent from a different standpoint. In addition to giving something up, I am going to make a conscious effort to attend St. Francis Inn with more regularity, even though I might have to change my schedule. I also plan on helping my mom with my little brother more this season. She needs all the help she can get, and I feel that it would be good for me to spend more time with him. I hope that this Lent will be a transformative time for me, and that I come to realize Lent’s purpose more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment