After reading Chapter 5 and thinking about my views concerning dating, I disagree with the “anti-daters” who argue that dating on our current social context is essentially “practice for divorce”. While I understand the point anti-daters are trying to make about the importance of relationships, I feel that dating serves as a way to discover what type of person you would like to spend the rest of your life with. Moreover, finding out what type of people you are compatible with is crucial, and I feel that dating serves as a great preparation for marriage and can be the key to keeping a marriage together. I agree with Donna Freitas and Jason King’s views that we learn a great deal from those whom we date, even if the relationship eventually breaks up. Dating teaches you how to care for another person and how to attend to the needs of others, rather than solely your own. I feel that Freitas and King’s observations about dating are true in the lives of young people today. I do not think that most of my friends are considering marriage quite yet, but I feel that the relationships they have now are in many ways preparing them for a long lasting relationship with the one they will end up marrying.
Having said this, I feel that the “Hook-Up” culture present on college campuses today is preparing people for divorce rather than marriage. When people form a relationship solely based on sex and infatuation, a good foundation for a lasting relationship cannot be built. Relationships should be deeper than “Hooking-up”; otherwise, one will not know what it is to commit to an actual relationship and remain faithful to one person.
No comments:
Post a Comment